Beans and Beans

Hello again and welcome back to Saved by the Egg Timer!
Well that wasn't so bad now was it? It was just like ripping off a Band-Aid. At first you are nervous and afraid of the pain that is to come. Finally you close your eyes and rip- just to open them up and realize you are not sure what you where afraid of! Either that or you rip it off and realize it wasn’t ready to be exposed yet…but thankfully that was not the case.

My first post went great. I have had a fantastic week filled with a lot of head spinning learning going on and loving every bit of it.  Not to mention just a fantastic week in general!  This is why- I have been scoping, craigslist-ing, garage saling and clearance shopping for this all summer...with no luck...until yesterday!
$4 dollars, yes $4.  My ice cream maker has found it's home.  3 freezer bowls, they don't even sell these with 3 bowls!  I almost ran to the checkout...and yes, I will be accepting my MDJ= Major Deal Junky Award later today.  So, if you have any recipes please send!


I have had such great feedback, encouragement, tips and critique. I want to thank all of you who have been so kind and supportive. Now onto the good stuff.

Well, by special request from my very first follower (yeah!)- I need to keep it coming with the herbs.  Just her luck, I have one today and more to come...this sweet and sassy, savory and spicy dish was a huge hit this week.  One of the kids claimed the leftovers right away.  It was one of those days....where I didn't have enough time to think let alone plan a meal.  I quick looked and had all the ingrediants "on-hand" so whipped this up and was so-very-glad I did. 

Sweet and Sassy Beans
Print recipe here
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C your favorite barbecue sauce
1/2 your favorite salsa (Kitchen Technique #2)
1/4 C molasses
1 T fresh oregano*
1 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 31- ounce canned pork and beans in tomato sauce
1 16- ounce can Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 16- ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 large onion, chopped
8 pieces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
*Fresh/dried herb conversion here

1. In large bowl combine sugar, sauce, salsa, molasses, oregano, mustard and chili.
2. Add undrained pork and beans, drained beans, onion and meat. Stir to combine.



3. Place all in 3 quart casserole dish.
But like I said- it was a busy day and I was speed skimming the recipe.  I just started pouring and mixing and flinging utensils about the kitchen. I put it all together, mixed, poured it in my nice casserole dish.  Timed it out perfectly with a minute to spare.  Got it in the oven and decided to read the article I found this so-easy dish in. Easy? Ha!  Apparently not for me.  Good thing I did, nothing major but I forgot an ingredient. Out it came from the oven and in went the salsa!  Alrighty, back in the oven, again.  (Kitchen Technique #2- Always read the whole recipe before you start making it.)


4.  Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 2 1/2 – 3 hours.
Note: Beans will thicken as they cool.
Slow Cooker Method: Prepare as above numbers 1-2 then place into a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.


Results are one casserole of spattery, messy, bubbly, gooey delicious beans!  I also love the fact that I get to use my molasses in any month besides December for Molasses Crinkle Christmas cookies and was nice to put it to good use. As well liked as this dish was- I won't have to dig out the sticky bottle in December just to through it away and buy a fresh one.  So that is always a plus.

We also threw these on the grill and realized they are a summer favorite of mine and should share.  Simple, fresh green beans with a slight grilled flavor. Nothing fancy but very good.


Grilled Green Beans
1 pound of fresh green beans
1 T water per foil packet
olive oil or butter to taste
salt and pepper

1.  Rinse green beans and snap off tops. 
2.  Tear a few large piece of aluminum foil, place beans in middle and pour water over top.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil or butter.


3.  Fold up foil into packets and grill about 10 minutes.  Caution: When you open up the packets steam will pour out.


Thank you for coming back to visit my 2nd post at Saved by the Egg Timer.


Today's recipes where brought to you by, inspired or adapted from: MidwestLiving and Me!


4 comments:

  1. Yay for impromptu meals that turn into keeper recipes! :) I had that happen tonight.
    ~ingrid

    Btw, that was a major score on the ice cream maker! I have that same one but only have two bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love when you find great things by accident, it just makes your day...and that speaks for the beans and ice cream maker. Thanks for stopping in and checking out the 2nd post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $4 for a Cuisinart ice cream maker with 3 bowls- that is a steal my friend! I bought my mom one for her birthday and it came with 2 bowls for $40 and I thought that was a good deal. ha! good for you.

    Oh and I've been known to make a recipe without reading the entire thing and sometimes it works out. Sometimes, not so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes- sometimes it works, and in this case it would have been fine. But not if your missing the baking powder or something for baking, not that I have EVER done that before........haha!

    ReplyDelete