Homemade Breakfast Sausage

Good Morning!

The MN State Fair has ended, pools are closed, football has started...all of this means school is back in session!  All I can say this morning is that I miss the 90 degree days and humid mornings. 

What are you making for your family this morning?  My ears will burst if you say nothing.  Breakfast is so important for our health. A good breakfast is even more important. It breaks-the-fast from overnight and gives our brains and body the energy to get moving again. We hear it all the time, healthy people eat breakfast. Research shows higher test results in children who ate breakfast among many other great reasons.  Then why do so many skip it then?  Maybe no time?  Make it for 'Night Breakfast'  then stick them in the fridge for when you are on-the-go. 

I have been making this homemade sausage all summer and every time, no fail...it is gone within minutes. I don't like to eat sausage knowing the nitrates, fillers, MSG, chemicals and meat choices in them. So make your own in minutes! I choose to use ground chicken out of personal preference but ground turkey, pork, sirloin or combination would work. I also never have cared for the fennel seeds in sausage and this has zero, zilch, nada. This recipe gives good use to the beautiful sage I picked out just for the color. I love the look and smell of this plant. It is the only reason I bought it, thankfully I have been putting it to good use.


Homemade Breakfast Sausage
1 pound free-range ground chicken
1 TB coconut oil
1 TB fresh sage- sliced thin *
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
1/8 tsp dried marjoram
1 TB turbinado sugar
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 pinch ground cloves
* for dried measurement's

1. Place the chicken and all spices in a large bowl.


2. Mix well and form into patties.


3. Heat coconut oil in large skillet over medium high heat. Saute the patties for 5 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through. You can also cook it crumble style for omelette's or a skillet hash. 
Serve warm and enjoy!


Note: Do not wash the pan. Just remove your sausage and continue making breakfast in this pan for great flavor, example: eggs, hash browns or pancakes. I made scrambled eggs directly after.


I got responses of "Best Breakfast Ever!" The eggs had so much flavor and brought me to Kitchen Technique #3- If you loose a piece of the shell... Use a large half of the egg shell to pick out the broken piece. It acts as a magnet to the little piece that broke off...otherwise it can be a hard little sucker to fish out.




Today's recipes where brought to you by, inspired or adapted from: AllRecipes



4 comments:

  1. You are so right! Your sausage looks so easy to make and if my kiddos like the one that isn't the healthiest I can only imagine how much they'd love homemade. Thanks!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to like fennel seeds in my sausage but I don't like how fatty or salty it can be. I can render out fat, but it's the salt that kills me. Homemade sausage patties would remedy that. This would be great in stuffing too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's pretty impressive! Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete